Where are academic libraries going?
According to this review of the literature by the ACRL Research Planning and Review Committee the road ahead looks like this:
- Academic library collection growth is driven by patron demand and will include new resource types.
- Budget challenges will continue and libraries will evolve as a result.
- Changes in higher education will require that librarians possess diverse skill sets. (lucky that we’re all doing 23things then, eh?)
- Demands for accountability and assessment will increase.
- Digitization of unique library collections will increase and require a larger share of resources.
- Explosive growth of mobile devices and applications will drive new services.
- Increased collaboration will expand the role of the library within the institution and beyond.
- Libraries will continue to lead efforts to develop scholarly communication and intellectual property services.
- Technology will continue to change services and required skills.
- The definition of the library will change as physical space is repurposed and virtual space expands.
Nothing that you counldn’t have guessed yourself, but sometimes handy to see them all lumped together, in one place.